The following gives you an overview of relevant movies. There are 138 categories. You can use this as a challenge: make sure that you have watched at least one film from each category.
(1) 80s action First Blood (1982) Conan the Barbarian (1982) The Terminator (1984) Commando (1985) Top Gun (1986) Predator (1987) RoboCop (1987) Die Hard (1988) Bloodsport (1988) The Killer (1989)
(2) Black comedy Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) Withnail & I (1987) Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988) Man Bites Dog (1992) Happiness (1998) Snatch (2000) Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) In Bruges (2008) Wild Tales (2014) Ingrid Goes West (2017)
(3) Coen brothers Blood Simple. (1984) Raising Arizona (1987) Miller's Crossing (1990) Barton Fink (1991) Fargo (1996) The Big Lebowski (1998) O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) A Serious Man (2009) Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
(4) Film noir The Maltese Falcon (1941) Double Indemnity (1944) Laura (1944) Mildred Pierce (1945) The Lost Weekend (1945) The Big Sleep (1946) Out of the Past (1947) They Live by Night (1948) The Third Man (1949) In a Lonely Place (1950) Night and the City (1950) Ace in the Hole (1951) Rififi (1955) Kiss Me Deadly (1955) Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
(5) French New Wave The 400 Blows (1959) Breathless (1960) A Woman Is a Woman (1961) Léon Morin, Priest (1961) Jules and Jim (1962) Vivre Sa Vie (1962) Contempt (1963) Band of Outsiders (1964) The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) Pierrot le Fou (1965) Two or Three Things I Know About Her... (1967) Weekend (1967) My Night at Maud's (1969)
(6) Left Bank Hiroshima Mon Amour (1959) Last Year at Marienbad (1961) La Jetée (1962) Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962) Le Bonheur (1965)
(7) Richard Linklater Dazed and Confused (1993) Before Sunrise (1995) Waking Life (2001) Before Sunset (2004) A Scanner Darkly (2006) Before Midnight (2013)
(8) Serial killer Henry (1986) The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Se7en (1995) Zodiac (2007)
(9) Screwball comedy It Happened One Night (1934) The Awful Truth (1937) Bringing Up Baby (1938) His Girl Friday (1940) The Philadelphia Story (1940) The Lady Eve (1941)
(10) Vigilante films Dirty Harry (1971) Straw Dogs (1971) Death Wish (1974) Falling Down (1993) Walking Tall (2004) John Wick (2014)
(11) Terrence Malick Badlands (1973) Days of Heaven (1978) The Thin Red Line (1998) The New World (2005) The Tree of Life (2011) Knight of Cups (2015)
(12) Drugs Trainspotting (1996) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) Requiem for a Dream (2000) Traffic (2000) Blow (2001) Maria Full of Grace (2004)
(13) Buster Keaton Sherlock Jr. (1924) The General (1926) Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928) The Cameraman (1928) Our Hospitality (1928)
(14) Disaster Airport (1970) Apollo 13 (1995) Twister (1996) Deep Impact (1998) The Day After Tomorrow (2004) Deepwater Horizon (2016)
(15) Neo-noir Point Blank (1967) Chinatown (1974) Thief (1981) L.A. Confidential (1997) Sin City (2005) Drive (2011) Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
(16) Cars & Racing Vanishing Point (1971) Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) Death Race 2000 (1975) Rush (2013) The Fast and the Furious (2001) Days of Thunder (1990) Speed Racer (2008)
(17) 1920s Greed (1924) Battleship Potemkin (1925) Metropolis (1927) Sunrise (1927) Napoleon (1927) The Crowd (1928)
(18) Adventure The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) Deliverance (1972) Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) Master and Commander (2003) Apocalypto (2006) Life of Pi (2012) Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)
(19) Genius Rain Man (1988) Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993) Good Will Hunting (1997) A Beautiful Mind (2001)
(20) South Korea Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003) Oldboy (2003) 3-Iron (2004) Mother (2009) I Saw the Devil (2010)
(21) Ingmar Bergman The Seventh Seal (1957) Wild Strawberries (1957) Through a Glass Darkly (1961) Winter Light (1963) Persona (1966) Cries & Whispers (1972) Scenes from a Marriage (1973) Autumn Sonata (1978) Fanny and Alexander (1982)
(22) Billy Wilder Sunset Boulevard (1950) Some Like It Hot (1959) The Apartment (1960) One, Two, Three (1961) Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
(23) Comedy-drama One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) Being There (1979) My Dinner with Andre (1981) The Breakfast Club (1985) The Fisher King (1991) Groundhog Day (1993) Forrest Gump (1994) Buffalo '66 (1998) The Truman Show (1998) The Man Without a Past (2002) Lost in Translation (2003) Little Miss Sunshine (2006) Frances Ha (2012) Toni Erdmann (2016)
(24) Drama Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) Gone with the Wind (1939) The Grapes of Wrath (1940) All About Eve (1950) A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) From Here to Eternity (1953) On the Waterfront (1954) Splendor in the Grass (1961) Midnight Cowboy (1969) À Nos Amours (1983) Vagabond (1985) The Piano (1993) La Haine (1995) Secrets & Lies (1996) The Ice Storm (1997) The Celebration (1998) All About My Mother (1999) Ratcatcher (1999) Amores Perros (2000) La Ciénaga (2001) Morvern Callar (2002) 25th Hour (2002) Elephant (2003) Mysterious Skin (2004) Babel (2006) 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) Wendy and Lucy (2008) The Social Network (2010) Incendies (2010) Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011) Shame (2011) The Hunt (2012) The Place Beyond the Pines (2012) Winter Sleep (2014) Mommy (2014) Son of Saul (2015) Room (2015) Spotlight (2015) Manchester by the Sea (2016) Paterson (2016) Columbus (2017) The Florida Project (2017)
(25) James Bond Dr. No (1962) Goldfinger (1964) Casino Royale (2006) Skyfall (2012) The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) GoldenEye (1995)
(26) Romantic comedy Roman Holiday (1953) Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) The Princess Bride (1987) When Harry Met Sally... (1989) There’s Something About Mary (1998) Amélie (2001) Punch-Drunk Love (2002) Sideways (2004) The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005) 500 Days of Summer (2009)
(27) Robert Bresson Diary of a Country Priest (1951) A Man Escaped (1956) Pickpocket (1959) Au Hasard Balthazar (1966) Mouchette (1967) The Devil, Probably (1977) L'Argent (1983)
(28) Political thriller Z (1969) Three Days of the Condor (1975) All the President's Men (1976) Blow Out (1981) Patriot Games (1992) The Lives of Others (2006) The Ides of March (2011) The Post (2017)
(29) Parody/spoof Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948) Dark Star (1974) Airplane! (1980) The Princess Bride (1987) Spaceballs (1987) The Naked Gun (1988) Hot Shots! (1991) Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993) Austin Powers (1997) Galaxy Quest (1999) Black Dynamite (2009)
(30) Orson Welles Citizen Kane (1941) Touch of Evil (1958) The Trial (1962) Chimes at Midnight (1965) F for Fake (1973)
(31) Pixar Toy Story (1995) Finding Nemo (2003) Ratatouille (2007) WALL·E (2008) Up (2009) Inside Out (2015) Coco (2017)
(32) Pre-Code Hollywood The Blue Angel (1930) Frankenstein (1931) Freaks (1932) King Kong (1933) Duck Soup (1933) The Thin Man (1934)
(33) Superhero Superman (1978) X-Men (2000) Spider-Man (2002) The Dark Knight (2008) Iron Man (2008) The Avengers (2012) Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) Logan (2017)
(34) War All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) The Longest Day (1962) The Train (1964) The Deer Hunter (1978) Apocalypse Now (1979) Das Boot (1981) Platoon (1986) Saving Private Ryan (1998) Black Hawk Down (2001) Dunkirk (2017)
(35) Stanley Kubrick Paths of Glory (1957) Lolita (1962) Dr. Strangelove (1964) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) A Clockwork Orange (1971) Barry Lyndon (1975) The Shining (1980) Full Metal Jacket (1987) Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
(36) Surrealism Entr'acte (1924) The Seashell and the Clergyman (1928) L'Étoile de Mer (1928) An Andalusian Dog (1929) L'Age d'Or (1930) The Blood of a Poet (1930) Meshes of the Afternoon (1943)
(37) Western Stagecoach (1939) The Ox-Bow Incident (1943) My Darling Clementine (1946) High Noon (1952) Shane (1953) The Searchers (1956) Rio Bravo (1959) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) The Wild Bunch (1969) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) Dances with Wolves (1990) Unforgiven (1992) Meek's Cutoff (2010)
(38) Spaghetti Western A Fistful of Dollars (1964) For a Few Dollars More (1965) Django (1966) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) The Great Silence (1968) Duck, You Sucker! (1971)
(39) Swashbuckler Captain Blood (1935) The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) The Sea Hawk (1940) The Four Musketeers (1974) The Three Musketeers (1993) The Mask of Zorro (1998)
(40) Werner Herzog Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972) The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974) Stroszek (1977) La Soufrière (1977) Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) Fitzcarraldo (1982) Grizzly Man (2005)
(41) Nunsploitation The Devils (1971) School of the Holy Beast (1974) Killer Nun (1979) Nuns on the Run (1990) Nude Nuns with Big Guns (2010) The Little Hours (2017)
(42) Psycho-Thriller Peeping Tom (1960) The Innocents (1961) Repulsion (1965) Bad Timing (1980) Possession (1981) Misery (1990) Jacob's Ladder (1990) Memento (2000) Martyrs (2008) Shutter Island (2010) Black Swan (2010) Only God Forgives (2013) Gone Girl (2014) Room (2015) The Neon Demon (2016)
(43) Krzysztof Kieślowski Dekalog (1989) The Double Life of Veronique (1991) Three Colors Trilogy (1993)
(44) Akira Kurosawa Rashomon (1950) Ikiru (1952) Seven Samurai (1954) Throne of Blood (1957) The Hidden Fortress (1958) Yojimbo (1961) Sanjuro (1962) High and Low (1963) Red Beard (1965) Kagemusha (1980) Ran (1985) Dreams (1990)
(45) LGBT Girls in Uniform (1931) Funeral Parade of Roses (1969) Je, tu, il, elle (1974) Paris Is Burning (1990) My Own Private Idaho (1991) All about My Mother (1999) Beau travail (1999) Tropical Malady (2004) Brokeback Mountain (2005) Shortbus (2006) Weekend (2011) Blue Is the Warmest Color (2013) Carol (2015) Moonlight (2016) Call Me by Your Name (2017)
(46) Yasujirô Ozu Late Spring (1949) Early Summer (1951) Tokyo Story (1953) Good Morning (1959) Floating Weeds (1959) An Autumn Afternoon (1962)
(47) Wuxia Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) Hero (2002) House of Flying Daggers (2004) The Assassin (2015)
(48) Woody Allen Annie Hall (1977) Manhattan (1979) The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) Match Point (2005) Midnight in Paris (2011)
(49) Survival Walkabout (1971) The Edge (1997) Cast Away (2000) Shackleton (2002) Touching the Void (2003) Into the Wild (2007) 127 Hours (2010) All Is Lost (2013) The Revenant (2015)
(50) Robert Altman MAS*H (1970) McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) The Long Goodbye (1973) Nashville (1975) The Player (1992) Short Cuts (1993) Gosford Park (2001)
(51) Aliens Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) Alien (1979) E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) The Thing (1982) Aliens (1986) They Live (1988) The Abyss (1989) Independence Day (1996) District 9 (2009) Arrival (2016) Annihilation (2018)
(52) Rainer Werner Fassbinder The Merchant of Four Seasons (1971) The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1972) Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1973) In a Year with 13 Moons (1978) Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980) Veronika Voss (1982)
(53) Michelangelo Antonioni L'Avventura (1960) La Notte (1961) L'Eclisse (1962) Red Desert (1964) Blow-Up (1966)
(54) Martial Arts Fist of Fury (1972) Enter the Dragon (1973) The Street Fighter (1974) Drunken Master (1978) The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978) Wheels on Meals (1984) Police Story (1985) Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991) Ong Bak (2003) Ip Man (2008)
(55) Lars von Trier Breaking the Waves (1996) The Idiots (1998) Dancer in the Dark (2000) Dogville (2003) The Five Obstructions (2003) Antichrist (2009) Melancholia (2011)
(56) Horror Cat People (1942) Rosemary's Baby (1968) Night of the Living Dead (1968) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) Halloween (1978) Dawn of the Dead (1978) Friday the 13th (1980) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Scream (1996) The Village (2004) The Descent (2005) Let the Right One In (2008) The Witch (2015) It Follows (2015) The Wailing (2016) It (2017)
(57) Supernatural horror The Exorcist (1973) Poltergeist (1982) The Devil's Advocate (1997) The Blair Witch Project (1999) The Sixth Sense (1999) The Others (2001) The Babadook (2014)
(58) Romantic drama Casablanca (1942) Brief Encounter (1945) Letter from an Unknown Woman (1948) All That Heaven Allows (1955) Imitation of Life (1959) Doctor Zhivago (1965) Romeo and Juliet (1968) The Remains of the Day (1993) Sense and Sensibility (1995) Titanic (1997) The Notebook (2004) Atonement (2007) Blue Valentine (2010) Laurence Anyways (2012)
(59) Wes Anderson Rushmore (1998) The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) The Darjeeling Limited (2007) Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) Moonrise Kingdom (2012) The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
(60) Thriller M (1931) The Night of the Hunter (1955) The French Connection (1971) The Conversation (1974) Sorcerer (1977) The Vanishing (1988) Jurassic Park (1993) Speed (1994) Run Lola Run (1998) The Bourne Identity (2002) Infernal Affairs (2002) Collateral (2004) Miami Vice (2006) No Country for Old Men (2007) Prisoners (2013) Nightcrawler (2014) Green Room (2015)
(61) Michael Haneke The Seventh Continent (1989) Funny Games (1997) Code Unknown (2000) The Piano Teacher (2001) Caché (2005) The White Ribbon (2009) Amour (2012)
(62) Giallo The Girl Who Knew Too Much (1963) The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970) Deep Red (1975) Suspiria (1977) Tenebrae (1982) The New York Ripper (1982)
(63) Musical Top Hat (1935) The Wizard of Oz (1939) Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) Singin' in the Rain (1952) A Star Is Born (1954) West Side Story (1961) Mary Poppins (1964) The Sound of Music (1965) Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) Cabaret (1972) Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) Phantom of the Paradise (1974) The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) Saturday Night Fever (1977) Grease (1978) All That Jazz (1979) Little Shop of Horrors (1986) Moulin Rouge! (2001) Les Misérables (2012) La La Land (2016)
(64) Racism To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) In the Heat of the Night (1967) The Color Purple (1985) Do the Right Thing (1989) American History X (1998) This Is England (2006) 12 Years a Slave (2013) Selma (2014) Get Out (2017)
(65) Federico Fellini I Vitelloni (1953) La Strada (1954) The Nights of Cabiria (1957) La Dolce Vita (1960) 8½ (1963) Juliet of the Spirits (1965) Satyricon (1969) Amarcord (1973)
(66) Early cinema The Arrival of a Train (1896) The Kiss (1896) The Man with the Rubber Head (1901) A Trip to the Moon (1902) The Great Train Robbery (1903) Gertie the Dinosaur (1914) The Birth of a Nation (1915) Intolerance (1916)
(67) David Lynch Eraserhead (1977) The Elephant Man (1980) Blue Velvet (1986) Wild at Heart (1990) Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992) Lost Highway (1997) Mulholland Drive (2001) Inland Empire (2006)
(68) Crime Le Samouraï (1967) The Godfather (1972) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976) Scarface (1983) Once Upon a Time in America (1984) The Untouchables (1987) The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989) Heat (1995) City of God (2002) Catch Me If You Can (2002) Memories of Murder (2003) Lord of War (2005) The Town (2010) Victoria (2015) Sicario (2015) Baby Driver (2017) Good Time (2017)
(69) Heist The Sting (1973) Dog Day Afternoon (1975) The First Great Train Robbery (1978) Ocean's Eleven (2001) Heist (2001) The Italian Job (2003) Inside Man (2006) Inception (2010) The Town (2010)
(70) Paul Thomas Anderson Boogie Nights (1997) Magnolia (1999) There Will Be Blood (2007) The Master (2012) Phantom Thread (2017)
(71) Action comedy 48 Hrs. (1982) Lethal Weapon (1987) Maverick (1994) True Lies (1994) Bad Boys (1995) Men in Black (1997) Starship Troopers (1997) Three Kings (1999) Kung Fu Hustle (2004) Hot Fuzz (2007) 21 Jump Street (2012) Spy (2015) Deadpool (2016)
(72) Anime Angel's Egg (1985) Grave of the Fireflies (1988) Akira (1988) Ghost in the Shell (1995) Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (1997) Perfect Blue (1997) Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (1999) Millennium Actress (2001) Mind Game (2004) Paprika (2006) The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013) Your Name. (2016)
(73) David Cronenberg Videodrome (1983) The Fly (1986) Naked Lunch (1991) A History of Violence (2005) Eastern Promises (2007)
(74) Docufiction Nanook of the North (1922) On the Bowery (1956) In Vanda's Room (2000) Colossal Youth (2006) My Winnipeg (2007)
(75) Edward Yang Taipei Story (1985) A Brighter Summer Day (1991) Yi Yi (2000)
(76) Fantasy The Dark Crystal (1982) The NeverEnding Story (1984) Delicatessen (1991) Being John Malkovich (1999) The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) Pan's Labyrinth (2006) The Fall (2006) Avatar (2009) Holy Motors (2012) A Ghost Story (2017) The Shape of Water (2017)
(77) Sharks Jaws (1975) Deep Blue Sea (1999) Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus (2009) Shark Night (2011) Sharknado (2013) The Shallows (2016)
(78) Quentin Tarantino Reservoir Dogs (1992) Pulp Fiction (1994) Jackie Brown (1997) Kill Bill (2003) Inglourious Basterds (2009) Django Unchained (2012) The Hateful Eight (2015)
(79) Japan Ugetsu (1953) Sansho the Bailiff (1954) Harakiri (1962) Woman in the Dunes (1964) Kwaidan (1964) Onibaba (1964) The Face of Another (1966) Eros + Massacre (1969) Maborosi (1995) Cure (1997) All About Lily Chou-Chou (2001) Happiness of the Katakuris (2002) Nobody Knows (2004) Strange Circus (2005) The Calamari Wrestler (2005) Big Man Japan (2007) Love Exposure (2008) Confessions (2010) Like Father, Like Son (2013)
(80) Jacques Tati Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (1953) Mon Oncle (1958) Playtime (1967)
(81) Alfred Hitchcock Rebecca (1940) Shadow of a Doubt (1943) Notorious (1946) Rope (1948) Strangers on a Train (1951) Dial M for Murder (1954) Rear Window (1954) Vertigo (1958) North by Northwest (1959) Psycho (1960) The Birds (1963)
(82) Animation Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) Pinocchio (1940) Fantasia (1940) Dumbo (1941) Bambi (1942) Fantastic Planet (1973) The Twelve Tasks of Asterix (1976) Only Yesterday (1991) Beauty and the Beast (1991) The Lion King (1994) The Prince of Egypt (1998) The Iron Giant (1999) The Triplets of Belleville (2003) The Incredibles (2004) Persepolis (2007) Waltz with Bashir (2008) How to Train Your Dragon (2010) It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012) The Red Turtle (2016)
(83) Iran Where is the Friend's Home? (1987) Close-Up (1990) A Moment of Innocence (1996) Taste of Cherry (1997) Certified Copy (2010) A Separation (2011) The Salesman (2015)
(84) Jean Renoir A Day in the Country (1936) La Grande Illusion (1937) The Rules of the Game (1939) French Cancan (1955)
(85) Monster The Blob (1953) Godzilla (1954) Tarantula (1955) Cloverfield (2008) Trollhunter (2010)
(86) Wim Wenders Alice in the Cities (1974) Kings of the Road (1976) The American Friend (1977) Paris, Texas (1984) Wings of Desire (1987)
(87) Teen American Graffiti (1973) Over the Edge (1979) The Warriors (1979) Rock 'n' Roll High School (1979) Rumble Fish (1983) Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) Stand by Me (1986) Boyz n the Hood (1991) Kids (1995) Fucking Åmål (1998) Heathers (1988) Ken Park (2002) Mean Girls (2004) Superbad (2007) Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) Spring Breakers (2012) The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) Boyhood (2014) Lady Bird (2017)
(88) Buster Keaton Our Hospitality (1923) Sherlock Jr. (1924) The General (1926) Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928) The Cameraman (1928)
(89) Cannibal films Cannibal Holocaust (1980) Eaten Alive! (1980) Cannibal Ferox (1981) Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) Cannibal! The Musical (1993)
(90) Carl Theodor Dreyer The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) Vampyr (1932) Day of Wrath (1943) Ordet (1955) Gertrud (1964)
(91) Hippie The Love-Ins (1967) Psych-Out (1968) Zabriskie Point (1970) Hair (1979)
(92) Martin Scorsese Mean Streets (1973) Taxi Driver (1976) Raging Bull (1980) The King of Comedy (1982) After Hours (1985) Goodfellas (1990) The Age of Innocence (1993) Casino (1995) The Departed (2006) The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
(93) Mystery Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) Clue (1985) The Usual Suspects (1995) The Game (1997) Donnie Darko (2001) The Prestige (2006) The Man from Earth (2007)
(94) Pier Paolo Pasolini The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964) The Hawks and the Sparrows (1966) Teorema (1968) Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975)
(95) Prison The Great Escape (1963) Cool Hand Luke (1967) Escape from Alcatraz (1979) The Shawshank Redemption (1994) A Prophet (2009)
(96) Yakuza Tokyo Drifter (1966) Branded to Kill (1967) Ichi the Killer (2001) Zatōichi (2003) Outrage (2010)
(97) War drama The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) Die Brücke (1959) Lawrence of Arabia (1962) The Battle of Algiers (1966) The Cranes Are Flying (1957) Come and See (1985) Schindler's List (1993) The Pianist (2002) Downfall (2004) The Hurt Locker (2008) Beasts of No Nation (2015)
(98) German expressionism The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) The Golem (1920) Nosferatu (1922) The Last Laugh (1924)
(99) Comedy Big Deal on Madonna Street (1958) Divorce, Italian Style (1962) The Pink Panther (1963) The Great Race (1965) The Odd Couple (1968) Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) Life of Brian (1979) The Jerk (1979) The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980) Tampopo (1985) A Fish Called Wanda (1988) My Cousin Vinny (1992) Office Space (1999) Jackass: The Movie (2002) Anchorman (2004) Borat (2006) The Hangover (2009)
(100) 90s action Total Recall (1990) Terminator 2 (1991) Point Break (1991) El Mariachi (1992) The Fugitive (1993) The Rock (1996) Mission: Impossible (1996) Con Air (1997) Face/Off (1997) The Matrix (1999)
(101) Andrei Tarkovsky Andrei Rublev (1966) Solaris (1971) The Mirror (1974) Stalker (1979) Nostalgia (1983) The Sacrifice (1986)
(102) Satire Sullivan's Travels (1941) The Producers (1967) If.... (1968) Blazing Saddles (1974) Network (1976) American Beauty (1999) Fight Club (1999) American Psycho (2000) Thank You for Smoking (2005) Idiocracy (2006) In the Loop (2009)
(103) Music A Hard Day's Night (1964) The Blues Brothers (1980) Pink Floyd: The Wall (1982) This Is Spinal Tap (1984) Stop Making Sense (1984) Amadeus (1984) Sister Act (1992) Buena Vista Social Club (1999) Almost Famous (2000) 8 Mile (2002) Ray (2004) Whiplash (2014)
(104) Alejandro Jodorowsky El Topo (1970) The Holy Mountain (1973) Santa Sangre (1989)
(105) Avant-garde documentary Man With a Movie Camera (1929) Blow Job (1964) News from Home (1977) Koyaanisqatsi (1982) Baraka (1992) La Commune (Paris, 1871) (2000) I was moving ahead … (2000) Habitat (2012)
(106) Ernst Lubitsch I Don't Want to Be a Man (1918) Trouble in Paradise (1932) Ninotchka (1939) The Shop Around the Corner (1940) To Be or Not to Be (1942)
(107) Erotic Last Tango in Paris (1972) In the Realm of the Senses (1976) Body Double (1984) Basic Instinct (1992) The Handmaiden (2016)
(108) Sci-fi The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) Planet of the Apes (1968) THX 1138 (1971) Star Wars (1977) Blade Runner (1982) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) On the Silver Globe (1988) Twelve Monkeys (1995) Star Trek: First Contact (1996) The Fifth Element (1997) Gattaca (1997) The Matrix (1999) A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) Minority Report (2002) Primer (2004) Moon (2009) Cloud Atlas (2012) Her (2013) Gravity (2013) Edge of Tomorrow (2014) Ex Machina (2014) Interstellar (2014) The Martian (2015)
(109) Tim Burton Edward Scissorhands (1990) The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) Ed Wood (1994) Mars Attacks! (1996) Big Fish (2003) Sweeney Todd (2007)
(110) Stoner films Up in Smoke (1978) Half Baked (1998) How High (2001) Pineapple Express (2008)
(111) Sports drama The Hustler (1961) Rocky (1976) Remember the Titans (2000) Million Dollar Baby (2004) The Wrestler (2008) The Fighter (2010) Moneyball (2011) Creed (2015)
(112) Powell & Pressburger The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) The Red Shoes (1948) Black Narcissus (1947)
(113) Dystopia Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984) Brazil (1985) Dark City (1998) Battle Royale (2000) 28 Days Later... (2002) V for Vendetta (2005) Children of Men (2006) The Road (2009) Snowpiercer (2013) The Maze Runner (2014)
(114) Luis Buñuel The Young and the Damned (1950) Viridiana (1961) The Exterminating Angel (1962) Simon of the Desert (1965) Belle de Jour (1967) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)
(115) Documentary Night and Fog (1956) Shoah (1985) The Thin Blue Line (1988) Hoop Dreams (1994) Man on Wire (2008) Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011) Leviathan (2012) The Act of Killing (2012) Tim's Vermeer (2013)
(116) Modern action 300 (2006) The Raid: Redemption (2011) Dredd (2012) Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) Hardcore Henry (2016)
(118) Rape revenge The Virgin Spring (1960) I Spit on Your Grave (1978) Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002) Irreversible (2002) I Saw the Devil (2010)
(119) Wong Kar-wai Chungking Express (1994) Fallen Angels (1995) Happy Together (1997) In the Mood for Love (2000) 2046 (2004)
(120) Horror comedy Young Frankenstein (1974) House (1977) An American Werewolf in London (1981) Dead Alive (1992) Shaun of the Dead (2004) The Cabin in the Woods (2012) What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
(121) Courtroom drama 12 Angry Men (1957) Anatomy of a Murder (1959) Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) The Verdict (1982) A Few Good Men (1992) The Rainmaker (1997)
(122) Charlie Chaplin The Tramp (1915) The Kid (1921) The Circus (1928) City Lights (1931) The Great Dictator (1940) Limelight (1952)
(123) Yakuza Tokyo Drifter (1966) Branded to Kill (1967) Ichi the Killer (2001) Zatōichi (2003) Outrage (2010)
(124) Splatter Blood Feast (1963) The Wizard of Gore (1970) The Evil Dead (1981) Bad Taste (1987)
(125) Africa Black Girl (1966) Touki Bouki (1973) Hotel Rwanda (2004) Moolaadé (2004) Timbuktu (2014)
(126) Ancient Rome Quo Vadis (1951) Ben-Hur (1959) Spartacus (1960) Cleopatra (1963) Caligula (1979) Gladiator (2000)
(127) Biography The Life of Emile Zola (1937) Patton (1970) Gandhi (1982) Malcolm X (1992) Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (1985) Schindler's List (1993) Monster (2003) The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007) Lincoln (2012)
(128) John Cassavetes Shadows (1958) Faces (1968) A Woman Under the Influence (1974)
(129) Eastern Europe Ashes and Diamonds (1958) Daisies (1966) Cremator (1969) Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970) Damnation (1988) Satantango (1994) Underground (1995) Black Cat, White Cat (1998) Werckmeister Harmonies (2000) No Man's Land (2001) The Turin Horse (2011) Ida (2013)
(130) Russia Brother (1997) Russian Ark (2002) The Return (2003) The Sun (2005) Hard to Be a God (2013) Leviathan (2014)
(131) Religion The Ten Commandments (1956) The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) The Mission (1986) The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) The Passion of the Christ (2004) Silence (2016)
(132) Cult films Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958) Barbarella (1968) Pink Flamingos (1972) Tron (1982) Ghostbusters (1984) Repo Man (1984) The Toxic Avenger (1984) Back to the Future (1985) Big Trouble in Little China (1986) Surf Nazis Must Die (1987) Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989) Army of Darkness (1992) Wayne’s World (1992) Clerks (1994) Bad Boy Bubby (1994) Dude, Where’s My Car? (2000) Donnie Darko (2001) Freddy Got Fingered (2001) The Brown Bunny (2003) The Room (2003) Fateful Findings (2013)
(133) Unsorted L'Atalante (1934) Children of Paradise (1945) It's a Wonderful Life (1946) Pather Panchali (1955) Marketa Lazarová (1967) The Conformist (1970) Celine and Julie Go Boating (1974) Cinema Paradiso (1988) Dead Man (1995) Life Is Beautiful (1997) Pi (1998) Being John Malkovich (1999) Adaptation. (2002) The Illusionist (2006) Synecdoche, New York (2008) Dogtooth (2009) Enter the Void (2009) Inception (2010) Rubber (2010) The Great Beauty (2013) Birdman (2014) A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence (2014) Inherent Vice (2014) Chef (2014) The Lobster (2015) The Big Short (2015) Swiss Army Man (2016)
(134) Home Invasion Home Alone (1990) Panic Room (2002) Borgman (2013) The Gift (2015) Don't Breathe (2016)
(135) Historical The Leopard (1963) A Man for All Seasons (1966) Quest for Fire (1981) The Last of the Mohicans (1992) Braveheart (1995)
(136) New Hollywood Bonnie and Clyde (1967) The Graduate (1967) Five Easy Pieces (1970) The Last Picture Show (1971) Harold and Maude (1971) Easy Rider (1969)
(137) Hayao Miyazaki Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984) Castle in the Sky (1986) My Neighbor Totoro (1988) Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) Porco Rosso (1992) Princess Mononoke (1997) Spirited Away (2001) Howl's Moving Castle (2004) The Wind Rises (2013)
(138) Italian neorealism Rome, Open City (1945) Paisan (1946) Bicycle Thieves (1948) Stromboli (1950)
Hey guys. If you take the time you’ll find some good insight and other nuggets on her process, inspiration and sense of humor. Some parts are inaudible from my iPhone recording--mostly from the different audience members who were out of range for the microphone. All of Annie’s responses are transcribed in full. My exchange exhange with her is below in bold
. (Special thanks to u/td1183
for the suggestion on what to ask Annie.)
Annie Clark: What is that journey from the very earliest bits to, to where we are now? Um, I, this isn't something that I learned but it is something that my little brother learned, who's my personal assistant. He, uh, he knows I'm a little bit like germ-y, whatever, and, um, and so he makes a lot of tea, which is very sweet of him and he says, like, "Don't," he's been saying, "Don't worry, because I wash out the tea kettle after every show." I'm like, "Cool, great."
Uh, so we're about six weeks into the tour and I look over and he is in fact cleaning out the tea kettle but he's cleaning it out with Chlorox bleach.
A. Clark: Uh, and another thing that he learned is that, um, I don't know if you guys, how familiar you are, um, with, with being on tour buses or, or whatever, but it's like airplanes, like the water's not potable. You don't drink it, you know? You like, you're, you're lucky, you're, or you're like lucky if you don't get a rash washing your hands with it. It's just like not, shares a chamber with antifreeze or something. It's really gnarly.
So, but anyway, for a time there he was making me, uh, smoothies before the show.
A. Clark: For energy. And again, this is like same day that, that the Chlorox, uh, tragedy happened. He, I was like, "Jack, can you make me one of those great smoothies that you do?" He's like, "Yeah, sure," and he goes and he takes the blender, puts the little powder in it, the little [inaudible 00:01:47] and fills it up with bus water. And he's ... He had been giving me bus water smoothies for, like, over a month.
Speaker 2: Heh.
A. Clark: Yeah, have it. So, uh, so these are lessons for him, um.
A. Clark: No, I mean ... In, in all seriousness I think that it's been really fun. And I don't want to spoil anything for you guys who haven't seen the show, but I think it's been really fun to go "Can I, can I be entertaining for an hour and a half." I'm like, "Oh." Um, and the answer sadly for all of you is no.
Speaker 2: (laughs).
A. Clark: So, but, you are here. Yes, you, in the power shirt.
Speaker 3: Oh.
A. Clark: (laughs). Oh. Well, that was embarrassing (laughs).
Speaker 5: [inaudible 00:02:39]
A. Clark: Uh, what I, recording techniques.
Speaker 5: [inaudible 00:02:51] or just, uh, in general [inaudible 00:02:57].
A. Clark: Totally, different approaches to production and recording techniques. Um, well you know, I, before this record I'd had a little makeshift kinda studio thing. Like, little travel, uh, audio interfaces and stuff like that. But I hadn't, I never had like a legit studio. And so I built one of those.
And so, before I worked with anybody else, before I brought in Jack Antonoff or anybody I was just demo-ing myself forever, or what felt like forever. And so certain things like the guitars in Fear of the Future, or things from ... That was from, like, the original idea.
Speaker 5: [inaudible 00:03:37].
A. Clark: Yeah, like just the complete original idea. So there ... There are things like that, that, that ... I think the idea of, um, there being like "the demo" and then a real recording these days is, like, doesn't even, it doesn't exist anymore. You can make something that sounds rad pretty cheaply or self-sufficiently.
Yes, you in the beanie. In the Can shirt, that's a fucking sick shirt.
Speaker 6: [inaudible 00:04:09].
A. Clark: That's the co- ... Is that the cover of Ege Bamyasi? Yeah, sick.
Speaker 6: Yeah. [inaudible 00:04:15].
A. Clark: It's just ... Oh man, so great.
Speaker 6: [inaudible 00:04:29].
A. Clark: Yeah.
Speaker 6: [inaudible 00:04:34].
A. Clark: The song "Year of the Tiger" and the reference to the, um, to the zodiac stuff. I don't, truthfully I don't know that ... Well that's, like, the Chinese New Year, right?
Speaker 6: [inaudible 00:04:47].
A. Clark: We have a, might have a [inaudible 00:04:51] expert.
A. Clark: But I don't know that much. I think that I am the year of the dog, in [inaudible 00:04:56].
Speaker 6: Oh yeah.
A. Clark: I think so. But I don't know - I don't remember what that is. Do you mean like astrology, etc?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
A. Clark: I feel like ... Uh, I feel like it's super fun.
A. Clark: Like, it's, uh, I, like ... I, I wouldn't like play the stock market based on it.
A. Clark: But, but I also happily will have someone tell me all about me.
A. Clark: I'm just kidding. You know, oh my God, you're ... "That is such a Libra thing to say."
A. Clark: That, like, I - people ... But I mean I think it's all just part of, like, fuck yeah let's build mythologies together. How do you feel about it?
Speaker 6: I like [inaudible 00:05:35]. And then I [inaudible 00:05:45].
A. Clark: It's accurate?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
A. Clark: I mean I've heard that from a lot of people. Well, but with the birth chart thing you have to know your exact time of birth, right?
Speaker 6: [inaudible 00:05:58].
A. Clark: Yeah.
Speaker 6: [inaudible 00:06:03].
A. Clark: Oh.
Speaker 6: [inaudible 00:06:08].
A. Clark: It's super complicated.
Speaker 6: [inaudible 00:06:08].
A. Clark: Yeah. Mom, what was I - when was I born, mom?
A. Clark: She really is here hiding ...
Audience: (Laughs) A. Clark: ... from the camera. Yes, you in the red, or sorry it's a NASA jacket. Speaker 2: Oh, me. Thank you. (Laughs). Uh, this one's from the Proust Questionnaire. Uh, which talent would you most like to have? A. Clark: Patience. Speaker 2: (Laughs) A. Clark: I'd like that. Okay.
You in the glasses.
Speaker 6: Of all the places that you've been, what place surprised you pleasantly?
A. Clark: What place pleasantly surprised me ... Okay, kind of a loaded question. Because, in the premise of the question, is what place did you expect very little of.
A. Clark: But it definitely [inaudible 00:07:02].
Um, (laughs), man ...
Audience: As long as you say California. (Laughs)
A. Clark: I love LA. I love California. Cali never lets you down.
Um, oh boy, uh ... You know where, like this is ... This doesn't address the first part of the question, um, because I didn't know what to expect, but I really enjoyed going to Taiwan.
Speaker 8: Oh, yay! [inaudible 00:07:28].
A. Clark: Like, I went to Taipei and it was wonderful. I had the best time.
Yes, you with the red lipstick.
Speaker 9: Me?
A. Clark: Which is both of you, now that I see ...
Speaker 10: I'm actually taller than my girlfriend so I'm gonna pass it over.
Speaker 9: First of all, hi. If I knew you were here I would have dressed differently.
A. Clark: Oh my God, you look great.
Speaker 9: Thanks. Secondly, I ... You and I had a chat like two years ago, it was on your podcast.
A. Clark: Oh, really?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was like the music therapist back in the day.
A. Clark: That's right! Hi!
Speaker 9: Yeah, hi! And secondly, my question for you is - were there any songs from this album that you scrapped when you brought to Jack and he was like "Fuck no, we're not doing that."
A. Clark: (Laughs) Oh, any ones that Jack just drowned in the bathtub. Um ...
A. Clark: Um, there were a couple ones ... Well, no. There's nothing that, that ... There were things that he ... First of all, Jack is the most positive person in the world so his, his version of not liking a thing would, to just be really effusive about another thing.
A. Clark: Um, I remember though that I kept bringing up this song "Smoking Section," because I, it was the first song I wrote for the record and I was very attached to it. And it wasn't one of the ones that he gravitated toward originally and I, I kept, uh, just kind of kept bringing it up and, uh, and he finally [inaudible 00:08:45] he was like "No, it means a lot to you." And I was like "Huh! Yes it does!"
Um, so that one I, I fought for I guess, more or less.
Um, but, the others ... There was one song that we made for the album that was really cool but it just wasn't, it didn't do a thing that another song didn't do better. You know?
So, um, but it was ... I was in Germany and I saw, what was ostensibly like a porn magazine, and it said "Sexclusive," like that was the title. No E, just like Sexclusive. And I just thought it looked visually so arresting and so, I was like "Okay, I gotta have a song called Sexclusive" so ...
A. Clark: And so, I, I had Jenny Beth from Savages, um, uh, I was like "Listen, Jenny. I need you, I need you, you to record saying 'sexclusive, sexclusive' in your, like, cool French accent at 120 bpm and I need you to do it for three minutes and just send it to me, so ..."
A. Clark: So she was such a, such a pal. And she did it. And, um, and then the rest of the ... So, the track is just, like, basically Jenny Beth saying "sexclusive" and it sounded cool and then, uh, and then this like wild kind of Deee-Lite esque phantasmagoria around it.
A. Clark: I don't know.
Yes, you sir.
Yeah. [inaudible 00:10:33].
Well, okay, just sequencing. Very important part of record-making. Fun fact about, uh, making "Actor." I was so intent upon The Sequel ending up on it because I was very proud of, like, the arrangement. But it's like half a song. Let's be real. It doesn't, it's not a full song. Um, but I was so intent that it, that it exist because it was a little, you know, Faberge egg that I put it, I put it after ... Basically against the wishes of everyone I put it after Just the Same but Brand New, which is like, leaves you on this really nice cloud. And then I'm like "But just kidding, things get dark again. This takes a terrible turn."
A. Clark: So, um, I think that it was the, the ... There's an A&R guy at, I was on 4AD, or Beggars, at the time. And he very delicately asked if we could end it with Just the Same but Brand New, that he thought it would be a better order. And as I listen back I'm like "Yeah, maybe you were, maybe you were right."
A. Clark: I mean, you don't have to leave them with dread everyday. Just some days.
Speaker 11: [inaudible 00:11:54].
A. Clark: My pleasure, I love this.
Speaker 11: [inaudible 00:11:55].
A. Clark: Dorian Grey, yeah.
Speaker 11: Why [inaudible 00:12:02] and [inaudible 00:12:04].
A. Clark: Okay, totally. So, um ... I'm gonna direct a, uh, a modern adaptation of Dorian Gray with a female protagonist. So, the story is interesting to me for so many reasons. Um, like thematically, just, um, alter-ego and narcissism and sublimated desire and all that stuff. Um, but then I also thought that the story itself looks very, will look very different, um ... Things like vanity or desire or duh, duh, duh look very different, uh, embodied by a woman. So that, that is interesting to me. That challenge of making that feel real.
Um, and then also there is this gentleman who wrote this film Elle, has anybody seen Elle?
Audience: Elf? (Laughs)
A. Clark: Uh, not ... (Laughs)
A. Clark: Incredible film.
A. Clark: Zoey Deschanel and Will Ferrell ...
A. Clark: ... save Christmas.
A. Clark: And sing songs. (Laughs)
A. Clark: No, it's, it's called Elle. Uh, E-L-L-E. And Isabelle Huppert is in it, and it's French and it's fucked up, it's very dark.
Um, but, but I loved it so much that the guy, I contact the guy ... His name's David Burke, the guy who wrote Elle. And I was like "Yo, will you write this with me." And he was into it because he'd gone to a show here like, at the Echoplex, like ten years ago with his daughter and he was like "Yeah, full circle."
So, he's writing it and he's great. I'm thrilled.
A. Clark: Yes, you. Yeah. (Laughs)
Speaker 12: Um, so, a couple questions. One is - do you meditate? And two is [inaudible 00:14:09]?
A. Clark: These are really good questions. Uh, first question - do I meditate.
There was a period, uh, last year, where I called it like monastic-fantastic where I just was in ... I was, I wasn't drinking anything fun. I was totally celibate. I was, like, just a work monster. And, um, it was wonderful. It was a wonderful period. But it was, I started to transcendental meditation, which was incredibly helpful for everything, basically everything that was even vaguely an ailment got better when I was doing TM. And then also, so many ideas, it was incredibly generative from an ideas standpoint.
And, so, but I kind of ... Uh, it's bad to admit but I kinda, I've gotta get back into it. Just been a little busy.
A. Clark: Which I know, it's not an excuse. But um, don't tell David Lynch.
A. Clark: But, uh ... And what's the one thing I know about love. That's a really good question. I think it's not supposed to hurt. In the, in the gener- ... You know, like, yes, breakup- ... That, but like ... One the day-to-day I don't think it's supposed to be, uh, such a struggle. Yeah.
Do you agree with that? What do you know about love?
Speaker 12: I know that it is really [inaudible 00:15:42].
A. Clark: You're gonna love Tuck and Patty tonight then.
A. Clark: My, just a really brief side note, my aunt and uncle, Tuck and Patty, who you all ...
Audience: Woo! (Applause)
A. Clark: Yeah! Are the best. Are the best. And I'm so excited for you, if you haven't seen them, that you get to have the experience because it's the best thing ever. So.
Yes, you in the sparkles.
Speaker 13: Um, okay, so, I love the [inaudible 00:16:11].
A. Clark: Thank you.
Speaker 13: So, like, I wonder like, what inspired you to just like, to just find that aesthetic. And I guess like, pretty much like, overall [inaudible 00:16:20] and what was that moment when you're like "Holy fuck, this is what I'm gonna do."
A. Clark: Yeah. (Laughs)
Um, first of all, I really enjoy your use of the F word.
A. Clark: I just love, it's such wonderful word to say, it's so satisfying.
Um, uh, well, so, I worked with a friend of mine who's a creative director in Willow and basically we just kind of like put together a bible of images, like, there's a lot of keyboard and sort of references. I was really drawn to these things that were, um, sexy but like, so stupid. Like, just ridiculous to, or just have a sense of humor. Um, and, I felt like fluorescens were in that realm too because they, at first they seem really cheery, and then you really look at them and you're like "My eyes are burning and this is aggressive and kinda gnarly."
And then, um ... Yeah, and then like the album cover, it came about because I, you know, I was kinda riffing on the, like, [inaudible 00:17:30] bordan disembodied, you know, parts kind of thing and my friend Carlotta was just, like, bent over and she put her head through a canvas, like a beautiful ostrich. And, uh, and like it just, it wasn't planned, it was just, we just happened to get the shot and it was like "Oh, this is ... This makes sense." This, like, somehow puts everything on the record together. And I kind of ... A, a way that's more playful too. Because last, last record was like near-future cult leader and as fun as it was it wasn't, it wasn't like, as cheery or funny as I ...
A. Clark: You know, maybe like to pretend I [inaudible 00:18:18].
Yes, you with the blond.
Speaker 14: I think you meant to call on her.
A. Clark: I did?
Speaker 14: Yeah, you did.
A. Clark: Okay.
Speaker 15: Hi!
A. Clark: Hi!
Speaker 15: I love you.
A. Clark: I love you, too.
Speaker 15: Anyway, um, this is sort of on the same subject with aesthetics.
A. Clark: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Because you've had a lot of different aesthetics through the years. And I was, like, wondering if you have a favorite.
A. Clark: Wondering if I had a favorite aesthetic.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
A. Clark: I will tell you what was not my favorite aesthetic, but only for practical reasons. That fucking white hair.
Speaker 15: Oh my God!
A. Clark: It was so hard to keep up. You, you guys, you've dyed your hair ... Have you guys? Right? It is such a challenge to keep from not falling out.
And I wasn't super careful about it because I was like on the road and I was like "Yeah, this place in Birmingham, UK looks just fine I'll go in and get my hair done." And, and it was ... It was just like a lot of upkeep and I always looked so dirty and my sister came to visit on tour and my tour manager then was like "Will you please get her to wash her hair."
A. Clark: Like, it was just, it was like a whole thing. I mean I liked the look of it, I guess, for ... hindsight is 20/20. But, the upkeep was terrible and then I had to cut all my hair off and then I had this, like, horrible, like, 1999 [inaudible 00:19:33] haircut for like ...
A. Clark: A long time. It was really unfortunate.
Yes, you, with the poster.
Speaker 16: Uh, you watch Black Mirror, right?
A. Clark: Love Black Mirror.
Speaker 17: Fuck yeah!
Speaker 16: [inaudible 00:19:47] the latest season?
A. Clark: I did see the latest season, but I might have fallen asleep.
A. Clark: But tell me about it.
Speaker 16: [inaudible 00:19:53] it was like the best season yet.
A. Clark: Really?
Speaker 16: I don't know, I can't ruin it for you. Uh, there's a ... There's like Star Trek thing?
A. Clark: Oh, yes, I did see the Star Trek episode.
Speaker 16: And then there's a dating episode.
A. Clark: Yeah...
Speaker 16: [inaudible 00:20:09]. But uh, yeah that's a ...
A. Clark: Dating one ...
Speaker 16: It's like, it's a, it's a world where like, um, people are allotted a certain amount of time for ...
A. Clark: Oh, I did see this one. Yeah.
So, Black Mirror on Netflix. Charlie Brooker. Great series.
Yes, you with the glasses.
Speaker 18: Hi.
A. Clark: Hi.
Speaker 18: Um, so, uh, [inaudible 00:20:37]. So I don't really understand what was [inaudible 00:20:55]. I took it to mean [inaudible 00:21:00]. So, [inaudible 00:21:04] something to [inaudible 00:21:08].
A. Clark: Oh man, that's a really great question. Did anybody ... Did you guys here the ...?
Speaker 17: No.
A. Clark: So, he's, he's ... So, he said, uh, when he was in college he went to a symposium and John Cage was talking and John Cage was, was asked about Finnegan's Wake, the great James Joyce novel, which - was it, the last one he did, right? And it's very ... It's just like, language that looks like this. Yeah.
Yeah. Have you ever read James Joyce's love letters to his wife?
Speaker 18: [inaudible 00:21:48].
A. Clark: Oh, very sexual. Very sexual for an Irishman.
A. Clark: But, uh ... I can say that, I'm Irish.
Um, but, uh, so - do I have that kind of, do I have a similar experience ... Because, in John Cage's response to how can you understand, how can you love a thing if you don't understand it. And you asked if I had similar things.
That's the ... I think that's the nexis of the raddest shit. Is that something it touches on, it, it touches on something that, that you understand either in your body, and you're reacting to it viscerally ... Uh, you don't need to be able to write a thesis about something that you love, there's nothing wrong with wanting to, wanting to mark the butterfly behind the glass case, but that's the best stuff.
I, speaking of Tuck and Patty ... Like, they played me ... When I was 15 years old they like sat me down, they lit candles, they played Miles Davis, they played Bitches Brew, they played Coltrane, they played Love Supreme, they played Oliver Nelson's Blues and the Abstract Truth. And I'm like a 15 year old kid who's been raised on, like, Pearl Jam and Nirvana and that's mostly my, in my wheelhouse. And then they played me this stuff that I was like - This is the center of the universe opening up and somehow I get to be privy to it. And I don't, you don't have to, yeah, so yeah. Do you feel that way?
Speaker 18: I do. And that [inaudible 00:23:28]. Um, I mean, yeah.
A. Clark: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 18: [inaudible 00:23:36].
A. Clark: Absolutely.
Speaker 18: [inaudible 00:23:43] music and [inaudible 00:23:46].
A. Clark: Oh yeah, absolutely. I mean, look ... Yeah, even things like ... I remember being at the Tate Modern and seeing, um, like water lilies. And, no ... Like, to me that was like a painting piece, you didn't ... At like a dentist's office. And I saw it in person and I was, like, moved to tears by it. But that's the, the, the, the like mystical shit that's ...
Yeah, thank you. Oh boy.
Speaker 17: You're doing great!
A. Clark: Oh ... Yes, you back there. I'm sorry, I took too ... I should have ...
Speaker 19: It's okay. Um, I heard you talk about David Lynch in one of your interviews. Did you finally catch up with Twin Peaks and what did you think?
A. Clark: Um, it's on my queue.
A. Clark: Ugh. No, I haven't seen it yet. But I've heard it's great. Is it great?
Speaker 19: It's great. I just finished it. So it's great. Yeah.
A. Clark: Okay. So many things.
Um, well then you and then you.
Speaker 20: [inaudible 00:24:49] I have a [inaudible 00:24:52]. Um, [inaudible 00:24:55].
A. Clark: [inaudible 00:25:10]. Sup.
Speaker 20: [inaudible 00:25:13]. And then [inaudible 00:25:19].
A. Clark: It's a good question. Why did I resolve up on Smoking Section. I don't know why. It seemed like the right thing to do. Uh, and, and then it was clear that it was the right thing to do because it was ...
Uh, hang on. Me. I was working on a lot and I was like "What, where is, what is this song wanna be?" Like, I, it didn't, I ... I was like trying to shove it into like anthem rock territory. I was like "Who do you ... Who are you?"
Um, and uh, and then I found it in the studio. I was like "Yes, this is who you're supposed to be." And I was like wait a minute, I think that's the same key as the, where Smoking Section ends off. And I was like, I had this feeling that Hang on Me should be first and then I knew that Smoking Section was gonna be last. I was like "There it is." You can listen to it on a loop.
Audience: (Laughs) [inaudible 00:26:17].
A. Clark: It is totally that, yeah. Yeah, absolutely it is.
Speaker 20: [inaudible 00:26:23].
A. Clark: Yeah.
Speaker 20: [inaudible 00:26:25].
A. Clark: Wonderful.
A. Clark: Cry those wet tears.
Speaker 21: Oh, uh, big fan. I've been waiting 10 years to finally see you live, I'm finally seeing you live, I never have. And then - question. Does every album, does your writing practice change? Like, in how you write the album entirely. Do you write the music first and then the lyrics?
A. Clark: It's all over the map, the writing process. It really is all over the map. Because sometimes it's like, it's a story and it's lyrics and I don't know what it sounds like, but the story's there. And then sometimes it's, uh, a process that I like to call organ harvesting ...
A. Clark: ... Where, you know you're just, like, you're just doing your [inaudible 00:27:06]. Like, you're just in there, and you're writing, and you don't know if it's, you don't know if like ... Maybe this part that I woke up singing will be the best guitar part on the album or whatever it is. So you're just like, making these little Faberge eggs and going like "Oh, maybe ..." And then all of a sudden you realize like "Oh! This thing I made two months ago is the perfect chorus for this thing I'm working on today."
And so I think there's no wasted effort it's all just like, do, do, do, do and if you get stuck on something just go to another instrument or work in all kinds of different mediums. Make beats if you can, think of a melody, just go, go, go and then fuse it all together.
Speaker 22: [inaudible 00:28:04].
A. Clark: Writing music.
Speaker 22: [inaudible 00:28:07].
A. Clark: Totally. Tips for writing music.
A. Clark: Uh, your ears are your best asset. And, uh, how do you approach things - as a singer?
Speaker 22: [inaudible 00:28:19].
A. Clark: And what's the thing you find the hardest to ... Like, the music part of it?
Speaker 22: [inaudible 00:28:25].
A. Clark: The lyrics.
Speaker 22: [inaudible 00:28:27].
A. Clark: Uh ... Try this. So, start singing, just like you're singing and you're not necessarily, uh, you're like kinda improvising a melody. And don't worry about what the words are, and just record yourself. Just duh, duh, duh, duh ... And then, like, the way that you're singing and the melody will kind of tell you what the words want to sound like. Because your mouth ... It's like, John Cage, first thought, best thought. Which is, I love that. Uh, I didn't do it in here, I should have, just been "first thought, best thought."
Um, but uh, I ... Just, the, the way you phrase something will suggest words. And then sometimes you trick your, you outsmart your brain. Because you're, like, doing something that's purely emotional at first. Then you'll kinda like, "Oh, that, maybe that sounds like that word or ..." So, like, you'll go in through the back door situation. Good luck.
Speaker 23: Do you still fear the future?
A. Clark: No, I don't fear the future. Um, I called the ... Well, the song's called Fear the Future, but, um, I called the tour Fear the Future because I thought it was funny.
A. Clark: Truly. That's the thing, it's so on the nose that it's like "What?"
Okay, I have time for just a couple more. Yes, you with the piece of paper.
Speaker 24: It says "Marry Me, Prince Johnny."
A. Clark: Marry me Prince Johnny?
Speaker 24: (Laughs) [inaudible 00:30:10].
A. Clark: Wait, is it a question?
Speaker 24: Um, no, it's [inaudible 00:30:13].
A. Clark: Fool me once ...
Speaker 24: [inaudible 00:30:21] with the newest album, how does that [inaudible 00:30:25].
A. Clark: Um, well, it makes me ... Here's something that happens, uh, when people write things about you on the internet. The best thing that can happen is that you feel the, like a modicum of like "Ah!" But the worst thing that can happen is you just feel, like, gutted and horrible. So I try to just like not, like, just be detached enough to be like "Huh!" You know, "Oh! That's nice! Huh!"
A. Clark: Could have been another thing. Like, all of this is malleable.
Yes, you. In the glasses.
Speaker 25: Oh! Um ...
A. Clark: Oh, there's four people in a row, five people in a row with glasses.
Speaker 25: Oh my God. Um, [inaudible 00:31:24] someone just like me to [inaudible 00:31:44] be like "Okay!" [inaudible 00:31:50].
A. Clark: Oh, boy. How was it ... Well, part of the, part of the monastic-fantastic phase was like, actually, I got some kind of a stomach, my stomach ... It was maybe stress or whatever but I couldn't, I could barely eat and I also could- ... The alcohol did not taste good at all. So, the getting out of it was like, not ... It wasn't like "Oh, finally I have all this incredible self-restraint and ..."
Speaker 25: [inaudible 00:32:17].
A. Clark: Oh, oh, it was not Ambien.
Speaker 25: Oh, oh.
A. Clark: It was not actually ... No, that wasn't Ambien. I, I don't ... I don't mess with Ambien anymore after 2014. Yeah. When I was in, I was in Helsinki and I took Ambien and I, and I was like "Oh, Huey Newton and Louis Farrakhan are in my room. Louis Farrakhan is holding a lion and why are they watching me masturbate?"
A. Clark: The weirdest Ambien ... You know. No, it wasn't Ambien, it wasn't Ambien.
A. Clark: Let me list the other shit. No, I'm kidding. I'm totally kidding.
Speaker 25: [inaudible 00:32:58].
A. Clark: It was wonderful. Oh, it was so, it was really wonderful. It was so, um, so productive. And it was really just, like ... I, I got so much shit done. Like, I pitched on a couple movies, I like finished an album, I, like, made a couple books and worked another ... You know, it was just like go, go, go, go, go. And it was, it was wonderful. I really had the best time.
Um, guys one more question then I have to get in a bunny suit.
Hi, yes, you!
Speaker 26: Um, what advice would you give to a nervous A. Clark?
A. Clark: What advice would I give to a nervous A. Clark.
Okay, couple things. One - it's so terrifying, and you're right. Um, but you have to do it a lot to get better at it, which is the fucked up conundrum of it.
Also, um, one thing that's just helpful in life is, is to realize that most people are just concerned with themselves.
A. Clark: (Laughs) So like, you know, you could like step on a banana peel and, you know, fall into a vat of tar and most people will be like "Oh, someone liked my Instagram." You know, like ...
A. Clark: It doesn't ... And that's fine. Like, that's actually, that's good news for nervous people. Um, so do it a lot.
Also, get, get comfortable with humiliation. I ... And I mean that in a great way. I talk about that with my Uncle all the time. Like, because so much of life is, kind of, just like, kind of humiliating. Or, getting up on stage is crazy. It's a crazy fucking thing to do. It is insane. It's an insane premise. Like, "Hey - I'm gonna get up on stage and people are gonna want to listen to me and they're gonna want to, they're gonna be moved by me or what I have to say, or whatever. I have this inevitable thing that I just have to express.' Like, that is deeply human and also takes delusion. But if you do it enough, eventually people will want to hear what you have to say and will be moved by it.
A. Clark: You're welcome.
Audience: (Applause) Woo! (Cheers)
A. Clark: Thank you so much. Do you wanna meet Jack?
Audience: Yeah! (Applause)
Speaker 17: Hi Jack!
A. Clark: He's my brother but he's also my best friend.
A. Clark: Bye, guys! Thank you!
Detailed Chinese Tiger traits reveal all the positive and negative features of the Chinese zodiac sign that is ruled by wood element. Get to know the traits ... Tiger Chinese Horoscope for New Year 2018. Yearly Predictions and Forecast for Tiger. ... **TIGER** ~ Brand New You! ~ Chinese New Year Forecast - Duration: 23:29. Consciousness Evolution Journey ... This is the Wood Tiger of Chinese astrology. If you would like me to do your Chinese chart please go to vigintmed.com and send me a message. Want to support TED-Ed's nonprofit mission? Check out our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/teded View full lesson: http://ed.ted.com/lessons/the-myth-be... The Year of the Tiger 1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1974, 1986, 1998, 2010 Subscribe now and the blessing of the stars! I wish you good luck, love and happiness! Luck 68% (3.5 stars) Those born in the year of the Tiger have middling luck this year, but will enjoy excellent interpersonal relationships under the influen... Chinese Astrology: The Tiger - Personality & Compatibility Tiger Personality Compatibility with other Signs 11:20 Private Readings with Sonny ! $115 Full Ast... http://www.insightfulpsychics.com/chinese-horoscope-sign-tiger/ for more information on the Tiger in the Chinese horoscope or sometimes referred to as the Ch...